NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one!

5 posters

Go down

A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! Empty A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one!

Post  mumof1 Wed 18 Feb - 15:41

A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! Dsc04815
Wonderful deco shaped vase, and also rather peculiar
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! Dsc04816
Each side is different
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! Dsc04817
It almost looks lop-sided sometimes
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! Dsc04818
The handles look like someone adapted tea cup handles

A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! Dsc04819
Another oddity with this vase is the size of the stamp! Here compared to a hand potted, the tiki takes up half the vase. So, where does this fit in? Is it a number we don't know yet, or is it a prototype? It is definitely slipcast.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! Empty Re: A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one!

Post  Ev Wed 18 Feb - 15:59

Hi sunny, is there any way you can clean the base so that the backstamp shows up better? That is extremely unusual .... even the huge backstamp! I wonder if the Portage site has any big tiki stamps? I will look when I get a chance.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! Empty Re: A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one!

Post  mumof1 Wed 18 Feb - 16:05

I have already tried several products on it (you should have seen it before!), perhaps an overnight soak will help. I can see under the tiki with the naked eye - Crown Lynn and under, New Zealand.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Wed 18 Feb - 17:49

It might be made by the night shift LOL

I saw the listing and too agree very usual - how tall is it?
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 19 Feb - 8:59

I checked out the tiki stamps on the Portage site and no joy. Looked at my lot and the biggest is on the Rhodes ashtray, which isn't a lot bigger than the usual stamp.
Can you look at some of your sunshine?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 25 Feb - 15:40

I don't recall ever seeing a large stamp like this, and have had a quick scout through, but come up with nothing.
A mystery Crown Lynn deco vase in more ways than one! Dsc04916
I have soaked this for days now in steradent, and this is the result. Not all the crazing is gone, but the tiki and words are still no clearer. All I can make out is the N from Crown, and the Ly from Lynn. I thought I could see part of Zealand Ze, but not really sure.
Sorry to Janice for late reply, it is 205mm high.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Thu 26 Feb - 0:08

This one is certainly an interesting one. The possibilities are:

1. It dates to the time just before the big and long-running matt white range was introduced (late 1940s), and the factory were testing out shapes and stamps. In this case you could call it a test piece. It is a shape that reminds me of a Sylvac, Radford or Beswick vase from late 1930s England.

The base ring looks bigger than a normal CL one in the photo, and the clay looks quite white for late 1940s CL. Of course, they used lots of different clays in these early days, so we can't necessarily call it into question on those grounds, but it should raise a question.

The crazing and discolouration, which you have managed to get out quite well Anne, certainly give the appearance of age.
But the second option to consider is:

2. It is someone's attempt to create a spurious Crown Lynn shape and stamp to confuse people or make money. This is worth considering because there are stories of attempts to forge CL - it is said by the late Roland Grupp among others.

Were you able to ask where the seller got the vase and from whom? Any scrap of provenance could help us work it out.

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 18 Mar - 9:35

Another one in green has been listed. No mention of a back stamp.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=860453347
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 18 Mar - 9:54

Yes, I saw that last time it was listed. It is in bad shape too, just like my one.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Wed 18 Mar - 22:12

That's an interesting glaze. Does anyone have any eggcups or Kienhua ginger jars in that opaque lime green to compare?

teaandcoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 19 Mar - 8:59

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Thu 19 Mar - 15:33

I don't know if this C/L vase is similar enough.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9482547

I checked my egg cups, ginger jars, old colour glaze vases and the glaze is different to the vase on Trade Me.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 19 Mar - 16:32

Wow the pot on that link is just divine :loveit:
It is so hard to compare colours on the net and I find digital cameras act strange when it comes to some colours too.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Sun 26 Apr - 21:17

Whether this is Crown Lynn or not here is its model - and its Beswick! So the unmarked green one we saw a few weeks ago may be a Beswick example.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/art-deco-retro/home-d%C3%A9cor/vases-jugs/auction-879447249.htm

teaandcoffee

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum