NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» R A Shufflebotham, painter (Not NZ)
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  EmptyToday at 7:46 by Maryr

» Northland Pottery identification
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  EmptyThu 25 Jul - 16:57 by Wayne

» Topaz Tableware by Crown Lynn
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:53 by Ev

» Like Topaz and Like Vintage made in Philippines
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:48 by Itsyawnoc

» Crown Lynn bambi lamp for gallery
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  EmptyTue 23 Jul - 19:24 by BeauMontgomeryEverett

» Shape 72 being used for the first time ...
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  EmptyTue 23 Jul - 10:38 by Ev

» Blue glaze cup CB?
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  EmptySun 21 Jul - 17:28 by Ferret

» Vintage Pat. No. 982
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  EmptySat 20 Jul - 18:15 by nessymc2

» Can you help with identifying this Potters Mark please?
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  EmptySat 20 Jul - 15:35 by JanPots

Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?

5 posters

Go down

Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Empty Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?

Post  haselnuss Wed 15 Apr - 17:47

Who made me?Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6823Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6824
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Empty Re: Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?

Post  Ev Thu 16 Apr - 8:17

I'm going to be bold and say that this is made by Orzel as the glaze is that speckled one that they used a lot and the shape reminds me of Orzel too.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17868
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Empty Re: Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 16 Apr - 9:00

I know I went through this with the Royal Oak mother cup but I think that top brown glaze looks like Kermiko.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 16 Apr - 9:03

Oh did Kermiko use a speckled glaze too?

Edits to add that I see they did, but it is a very heavy speckle not a soft speckle like this.  You really need to compare the same glazes to see similar reactions.  Actually a thought just popped into my head that could this be Royal Oak?  I will check out their tankards next.

Edits again..... no joy from Royal Oak, but Aquila is very promising especially regarding the lower finish on the mug.
Jeremy you need to convince me in a way that I cannot argue with that this is not Orzel/Aquila. Of course the Brown's would know in an instant....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 16 Apr - 9:33

My thought on first seeing the shape was Stewart!!!!

They did tankards and they did transfers, but that top glaze got my attention so I offered Kermiko.

We have quite a few potteries with speckled glaze now, but I can't recall anything from Stewart.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 16 Apr - 9:36

I can't convince you Ev, as I am not convinced, just noting similarities.

Val's the one with all the Orzel tankards. Maybe she has this shape.

Later ...
I checked Stewart on this one too and it has no match in the gallery.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Thu 16 Apr - 13:13; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 16 Apr - 11:17

As haselnuss has plenty of Orzel/Aquila/Titian experience, I would like to ask her what her thoughts are regarding this tankard please.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 16 Apr - 15:36

I don't have anything in this shape. Hanselnuss is your tankard brown glazed inside as well? Almost without exception my Orzel tankards have that band of glaze round the top and the same glaze inside. Not a defining feature but a consideration. Also do you have any other items eg jugs with that handle shape? I am leaning towards Aquila/Orzel and I see you have already put it in the gallery Ev.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1988
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Thu 16 Apr - 17:21

My initial thought when I saw it was, yep this could be a new shape for the Orzel/Aquila gallery (and my collection) because of the brown sprinkles in the glaze, the base, the brown band and the style of the fish transfer.

The glaze is very similar to the 26cm tall Griffins biscuit jar.

Yes, the complete inside of the jug is glazed in brown like the rim.

Orzel/Aquila made lots of different glazes from off white with subtle speckles to dark ones with black speckles.

I have a green tankard that is a similar shape in Adelaar like green but no brown ones  that have the same handle/shape.
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn7010
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6910

I don't think it is Stewart pottery because the glaze is different, the Stewart tankard is not glazed deep brown inside and the glaze is much more shiny.
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6912
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6913

Royal Oak seem to have more rounded shaped handles.

The Kermiko Settler Collection Milo jar has a similar glaze and base just not as many specks.
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6914

Well I have got a Orzel tankard that has dark speckles and also a part that hasn't been glazed properly where it looks just like the fish tankards one.
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn7011
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn7013
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6915
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6917
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn7012

The griffins jar, another Orzel jar, Orzel tankard, Orzel fish tankard?
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn7014
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6918Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6919

This Titian or later Crown Lynn ramekin has very similar glaze too.
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6920

Last edited by haselnuss on Wed 22 Apr - 13:48; edited 11 times in total
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Thu 16 Apr - 20:22

Just found this Beer Stein auction on Trade me.

The tankard is made by Stewart Pottery and has the brown glaze all over the inside just like most of the Orzel/Aquila do.

So now we know that not only the Brown's had the inside of tankards glazed in the same brown that also is on the outside rim.

And the seller said that the base is flat but has a rim approx. 2cm up from the bottom which is different to my tankard with the same shape and the fish tankard which have a flat base without rim.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=872136486

My stein has a Steinlager motive and the ones on Trade Me DB Draught and Lion Red.

And this one which looks like the same shape as above is brown on the inside too.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=872733358

Good news is that I have got this tankard and will post a picture once my hubby has had time to photograph it at the weekend.
It is the one in the middle.Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn7015Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn7016

Maryr has this one down as a probably Stewart Pottery stein. Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Beer_m10

This is my one and Maryr thinks that it is 97.9% Stewart Pottery. Is 100% Stewart Pottery I have seen a marked one.

Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6937[/urWho made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6938l]

Last edited by haselnuss on Tue 28 Apr - 15:56; edited 4 times in total
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 22 Apr - 13:56

Different Orzel/Aquila stein/jug glazes.
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6921
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6922Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6923Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6924

I believe this to be a Orzel jug for the gallery.
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6925

This is a tall Colonial ware (Adelaar) jug.
Who made this beige tankard with fish picture?  Dscn6926
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 22 Apr - 14:29

This is not looking good for my theory, so I will change the title back to Who Made this Stein with a Fish on it?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 23 Apr - 9:44

When I look at this first fish transfer it makes me think Aust. pottery Robert Gordon 'Trout"
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2314
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 23 Apr - 15:42

Yes Kat. Now you say that, I remember. I had one of those Australian trout mugs but discarded it because it wasnt NZ. It is true though that the same transfer can be used by several different manufacturers. The plot thickens...
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1988
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Tue 28 Apr - 16:43

I had a look on Google for Robert Gordon trout pieces and noticed that the trout swims to the left rather than to the right like on the stein on this thread.

The Gordon trout pieces that I saw all had the Robert Gordon signature underneath the trout and the glaze was a darker brown with dark speckles.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Tue 28 Apr - 18:59

Yeah I just meant it is similar maybe the same style inspiration? cat
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2314
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum