NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic?

4 posters

Go down

Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? Empty Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic?

Post  mumof1 Sun 26 Jul - 15:46

Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? Dsc06315
I saw this in an op shop a few weeks ago, and thought it might be something special, until I picked it up. It was far too light feeling with pits in the glaze
Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? Dsc06316
This is the base. It has a faint number 31, and stilt marks. I decided because of all this, that it was a hobby beramics piece, due mainly to the weight. But is it? This same vase has now been listed on TM http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=923564718
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? Empty Re: Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic?

Post  Ev Sun 26 Jul - 16:16

This is the ware that gets listed on Trade Me as the Ruskin experimental Crown Lynn ware.  Did you get it?  There are many shapes in this glaze and they all have numbers just like the Crown Lynn shapes do.  This one has 37 on the base.  I would dearly love to know who made these pieces and I'm pleased to hear that this felt too light to be Crown Lynn.  I want to catalogue all of the shapes and numbers.  Someone suggested that it may be early Australian, but no amount of googling has turned up any maker. I don't see Crown Lynn shapes or glazes when I see this ware. I'm pretty sure that it isn't Hobby Ceramics either. I do salute the glazing as it really is stunning.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? Empty Re: Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic?

Post  mumof1 Sun 26 Jul - 16:28

I wish I had bought it now, but it had a chip also, and I didn't like the light feel, so I left it, and hence why it is now listed. If I had bought it I would gladly have sent it to you. Maybe i will find another one day.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 23 Jan - 14:01

There is a piece listed on Trade Me the same shape as one that Jim Drummond sold in his Art & Object auction for $500.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1246912899

The Jim Drummond auction blurb:
"Rare shape Crown Lynn Arts & Crafts style vase.  Tapering hexagonal section moulded with 'riveted flashings' to the angles.  Rare colourway (in imitation of Ruskin high fired wares) purple-lilac dribble glaze.  Incised no.4 impressed no 46."

My brain cells always hit High Alert when any of these so called Crown Lynn Specials Department Ruskin pieces turn up and now I'm putting them all onto a Pinterest page.  I have a few of these saved to my photos and will put them here for a short time so that I can add them to Pinterest, then I will delete them.  I can't get Pinterest to pick up the last 4 pics, so I will leave them here for reference.

https://nz.pinterest.com/nzpottery/ruskin-type-pottery-found-in-nz/

I have many doubts about this ware being made by Ambrico/Crown Lynn Specials.  The numbers are all written in the same style and are quite identifiable, as is the glazing on most of this ware.  The shapes are not at all familiar either.  Just need to find out who made it .....

Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? Crown_12

Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? Ruskin10

Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? Ruskin10

Ambrico/Ruskin experimental or Hobby ceramic? Ruskin11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Mon 23 Jan - 17:50

I really struggle with this "Ruskin" stuff. It doesn't look like anything else CL made. Is it correct that the only reference that connects CL and Ruskin is one sentence in Jim Drummond's catalogue?  Jim is very very  knowledgeable but none of us are infallible. In any case the reference says "in imitation of the Ruskin style" which is scarcely definitive.  Ruskin closed in 1935.  Tom Clark never mentioned Ruskin to me when he was talking about potteries he admired. I have seen no ref in Gail Henry's work either.
As I have said none of us are infallible but I am going to stick my neck out and say I very much doubt that these pots are Crown Lynn.

Last edited by Maryr on Mon 23 Jan - 20:44; edited 1 time in total
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 23 Jan - 20:22

I totally agree with you Val, but want to get to the bottom of who made this ware.
People were collecting these and giving them the Ruskin connection long before Jim's famous auction.  People list them on Trade Me as Crown Lynn.  It's odd that the listing above didn't get listed as this Ruskin/Ambrico ware as the trader is very clued up when it comes to NZ Pottery.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2tuis Sat 2 Dec - 14:24

Hi and kind regards,a Google image search finds these to be James Plant pottery..England,early and have value but certainly not Crown Lynn.

2tuis

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-10-07

mumof1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 2 Dec - 14:27

I agree that all of the evidence points to James Plant, but we are lacking the crucial missing link Very Happy

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t8761-the-ruskin-like-so-called-crown-lynn-trickle-glaze-some-information-perhaps#34575
Ev
Ev
Admin

mumof1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  2tuis Sat 2 Dec - 14:45

Hmm,if all the evidence points too,it likely is...none of the numbers correspond and would 'experimental' pieces be attributed a shape number in the mold before they even decided to put in production?...just pondering...

2tuis

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-10-07

mumof1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 3 Dec - 13:18

My vase like this has a stamp on the base and it isn't the stamp of James Plant or Crown Lynn. Until I can identify the stamp I won't know who made it Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum