NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray!

5 posters

Go down

Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Empty Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray!

Post  Ev Sun 25 Oct - 7:53

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=970517752

I just measured my brick bodied ashtray and it is just under 14x4cm.
As far as I can tell it looks like the same shape, but not as wide as the one listed.  
I have asked what colour the clay on the base is.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Empty Re: Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray!

Post  Maryr Tue 27 Oct - 9:01

Hmm is it glazed underneath?  The seller doesn't make that clear; I think I will ask. It looks rather Beach-ish to me, do you agree?
EDIT the seller has just told me it is exposed clay underneath. I reckon there is a very good chance it is Beach.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Empty Re: Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray!

Post  Ev Tue 27 Oct - 9:52

I have asked Sharon to check it out.  
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Tue 27 Oct - 10:39

Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 27 Oct - 10:52

Yeah, I thought maybe Beach too.
Bit fussier than expected.

Do note that it is a three clip ashtray and Sandee's is two clip.
I have a brown Beach ashtray, also two clip.

-----------------
Edits to add ...
Mine's much smaller than the linked one though.
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Ashtra10
35mm H x 103 OD at widest
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 27 Oct - 18:38

This ashtray is very much like the Crown Lynn brick bodied ones that have a Tiki backstamp. Though the Crown Lynn ones have 4 places for a ciggie and this only has three. Somewhat different to the Beach ones that we have seen, but in a way similar. May I suggest that this has been made by our flavour of the month potter Danny Steenstra.
This one listed has my name on it people ...... Twisted Evil
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Tue 27 Oct - 21:02

My first thought was Beach too. I don't know if Daniel Steenstra could have made it.

But saying that, I purchased a sturdy floor vase last week with the DS stamped initials on the base. It also has the 'splashed' glaze look. The vase is a grey/light blue heavy clay with coloured glaze "splashes" that run down the outside of the vase.

It doesn't look like any other Steenstra vase on the forum and could well have been made by someone else.

Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Ds10

Eva Beach's DS signed pot to compare the mark.
Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Beach_11
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Fri 30 Oct - 12:55

Has anyone got any ideas who made the grey DS floor vase above?
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 7 Nov - 17:30

The orange ashtray arrived in a postbag, but safe and sound in a box lined with polystyrene.  cheers
This ashtray is definitely Beach, as the clay is the same and the glazes are a match.  However I'm not sure if Daniel Steenstra made it, as it is a bit untidy on the base with a split that has glaze in it and some rough material that needed to be sanded.  The shape is very much the same as the brick body ashtray, but with real differences. The shape is 'softer', the tool indents are not as wide and there is no footring.  Perhaps it was inspired from a long ago memory?  Take a look at the photos.

Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Beach10

Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Beach_11

Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Beach_12

Check out this orange glazed Rhodes looking ashtray! Beach_13

I feel so inadequate, as I thought I would be able to identify the potter, but I can't sorry! I could make out the stilt marks on the brick bodied ashtray for the first time while comparing these two. So that indicates a very low firing temperature.

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 7 Nov - 17:58

Bugr! I am sure that one day all this will slot into place. Meanwhile i will have a beer.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum