NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» R A Shufflebotham, painter (Not NZ)
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 7:46 by Maryr

» Northland Pottery identification
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn EmptyThu 25 Jul - 16:57 by Wayne

» Topaz Tableware by Crown Lynn
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:53 by Ev

» Like Topaz and Like Vintage made in Philippines
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:48 by Itsyawnoc

» Crown Lynn bambi lamp for gallery
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn EmptyTue 23 Jul - 19:24 by BeauMontgomeryEverett

» Shape 72 being used for the first time ...
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn EmptyTue 23 Jul - 10:38 by Ev

» Blue glaze cup CB?
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn EmptySun 21 Jul - 17:28 by Ferret

» Vintage Pat. No. 982
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn EmptySat 20 Jul - 18:15 by nessymc2

» Can you help with identifying this Potters Mark please?
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn EmptySat 20 Jul - 15:35 by JanPots

Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn

3 posters

Go down

Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn Empty Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn

Post  BrunoL Mon 7 Mar - 21:06

Good Evening!

I've recently acquired two different butter pats and I'm a bit confused by the them. They both carry the transfers from the Golden Fall pattern, but only one is marked as Golden Fall (with the plain black backstamp), with the other simply marked as Ascot. They also use different version of the transfer, as shown below:
Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn 25209226889_c62612b4e2
Front of butter pats

Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn 25281143290_74ef7a5f5a
Back of butter pats

Note: both are actually the same size, despite the Ascot pat looking smaller in the photos.

My curiosity is: why they would be released under two different names, with variations of the same pattern? Was the pattern released under a different name under the Ascot name?

(I know the same transfer was used for the Poplar pattern, but that includes a grey 'hash' pattern over top of the leaves).
BrunoL
BrunoL

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-01-26

Back to top Go down

Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn Empty Re: Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Tue 8 Mar - 6:00

I can't think of a reason why they would do this Bruno other than that they could so they did .... Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17868
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn Empty Re: Golden Fall butter pats - Ascot vs Crown Lynn

Post  Maryr Tue 8 Mar - 6:53

One possible explanation is that the Ascot marked ware was made for a particular retailer, as eg the Roydon range was for McKenzies department stores. Unfortunately I didn't ask about Ascot when I was doing my research. Incidentally to further complicate matters there are actually two Ascot back stamps. The other one has a stylised pair of binoculars. I will drop in a pic later this morning.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1988
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 8 Mar - 18:40

I checked out some records and Ascot was sold at McKenzies.
I noted that there were Ascot Cake Plates and also Ascot Butter dishes just for McKenzies in the mid 1960's.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BrunoL Tue 8 Mar - 20:55

Wow - thanks for the information Maryr and the research Ev!

It had never occurred to me that the different 'house brands' of Crown Lynn might be specific to particular retailers, although it makes sense once the idea is raised that some shops (or indeed Crown Lynn themselves) might want to differentiate their products, or target different market under different banners.
BrunoL
BrunoL

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 9 Mar - 7:15

Brilliant Ev. Here is the other Ascot mark. It was a few years before i looked at it properly and saw the connection with Ascot races! This is a little butter dish.

Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 9 Mar - 7:48

Not sure what it means at this stage, but each of the Ascot entries in the records have the Décor number 800. I have searched for what patterns have the Ascot back stamp and they vary considerably.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 9 Mar - 7:54

Ev there seems to be a new system for putting up photos and I can't make it work! I will have another go later.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 9 Mar - 8:11

Using mumof1's other Ascot backstamp to test out if there are any changes to adding photos that I should know about ....

https://i.servimg.com/u/f84/12/53/23/96/ascot10.jpg

Yes it definitely has changed !!  I could only use the first option to copy and paste, let's see if it works and I will check out Forumotion for notifications!!

That's no good, let me try again ...
Argghhhhhh no better this time !!

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum