NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family

4 posters

Go down

Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Empty Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family

Post  Maryr Wed 30 Mar - 9:18

These drawings were given to me yesterday when I had a visit from Dan and Wendy Steenstra's son Dominicus (Dom) and daughter Sarah.  They came on a stick so I have high res versions - if anyone would like me to email larger versions please PM me and I will  do so. They are from a workbook which Dom has kept all these years.  Dom and Sarah explained to me that the drawings give a good overview of the type of shapes their father created. Some will have never got past the drawing stage, others will be instantly recognisable.
Dom sent Ev a few of these images a while ago but he couldn't send them all because of the limitations of size on email.
Sarah and Dom recognised their father's work in my collections of Beach Artware, Crown Lynn and Peter Lowrie ware. I will post more photos in the next few days as time permits.
It was a very exciting visit and filled in quite a few gaps for me.
These images are in no particular order, and I am not sure of dates - I will endeavour to get that info.
There are more which I will try to load later today.  

Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens14Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens11
At the top of this pic we have a teapot with a support which holds coals to keep it warm. On the bottom is a little Dutch-style oil burner lamp.
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens12
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens15
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens10
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens13Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens19Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens18Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens22Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens30Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens16Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens21Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens32Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens34Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens17Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens24Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens25Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens28Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens33Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens23Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens31Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens29Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens27Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Steens26
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Empty Re: Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 30 Mar - 11:46

The Vase in the middle with all the surface decoration....
does it say   Shywerk? -sample...I hope he made a few of those.!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
OMG I want one )  Twisted Evil
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Empty Re: Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family

Post  Maryr Wed 30 Mar - 13:35

It's snywerk that same technique as the vase you gave me. He threw his pot then when it was leather hard he carved it. He made wee tools with old hacksaw blades for this purpose. He shaped one end of a piece of hacksaw blade to make a knife for carving then wrapped sticking plaster or tape around the other end to form a handle. He came from a pottery family in Holland and brought that technique with him when he emigrated as a young man.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 30 Mar - 13:58

There are so many unfamiliar shapes there. I adore his carved work !!!
The little SPOONS jar is very familiar and I've seen it many times in the Lowrie glazes. I have one .... somewhere.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 30 Mar - 15:29

We had my spoon jar on the table yesterday when i made a cuppa for Sarah and Dom.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Sat 16 Apr - 14:24

Yes, I always thought that the 579 wasp nest must have been made by Steenstra!
Those crisp lines!
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Sat 16 Apr - 16:04

Could mumof1 vase/bowl with the crisp lines have been made by Steenstra. It reminds me of the beehive style vases and the wasp nest in the drawings just as a bowl.

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t2929-hand-engraved-hand-made-hand-potted-bowl

Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Dsc02224
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 16 Apr - 17:26

It sure looks like the vase that I got from his son.
I don't think I posted photos of that vase yet ....?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 17 Apr - 17:02

The 3rd photo up from the bottom - lower line in the middle looks like the Hand Potted shape 34 doesn't it?

Photo from mumof1
Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  3410
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Mon 18 Apr - 8:14

Looks good to me Ev, I have the jug & dish from pic above it,
I bought them together so I guess this is correct. cat
8.5cmh jug
9 cmd saucer

Daniel Steenstra drawings thanks to his family  Img_4610

Last edited by Kat & Co. on Mon 18 Apr - 8:33; edited 1 time in total
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 18 Apr - 8:19

I recognised the jug and saucer, though I don't have that set.  It looks like Lowrie glazes doesn't it.  There are other things too, like the sauce bottle with it's fabulous handle attachment.  These are wonderful drawings of pottery history.  I just need to find one of his carved vases now!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Mon 18 Apr - 8:31

These drawings are such a tease! Cool Val has this little jug & dish in Beach Artware brown too... which only makes me wonder what other colours they come in & if he ever handpotted these little jugs for CL.

Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 18 Apr - 8:40

There are a few dates on the drawings and I think I can make out 1961 and 1969.
Can anyone make out any other dates? He left Crown Lynn around 1972/73. I had no idea that he was such a perfect designer. There are no errors in his drawings.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum