NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Jan Gillespie
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. EmptyYesterday at 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:22 by Ev

» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. EmptySun 28 Apr - 13:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. EmptySat 27 Apr - 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery? This was not decorated by Carpay.

3 posters

Go down

394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. Empty 394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery? This was not decorated by Carpay.

Post  haselnuss Sat 16 Apr - 17:34

I have read in one of Douglas Lloyd Jenkins books that at the beginning Frank Carpay used to take blanks of CL vases etc. of the production line and paint them with Chinese motives.
I am pretty sure that this 394 has been decorated by Carpay.
Any ideas?
394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. Dscn0010
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. Empty Re: 394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery? This was not decorated by Carpay.

Post  Ev Sat 16 Apr - 17:37

I agree with you haselnuss. I will add it to his Gallery
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17734
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery?  This was not decorated by Carpay. Empty Re: 394 Carpay decorated bowl for gallery? This was not decorated by Carpay.

Post  haselnuss Sat 16 Apr - 18:05

That is awesome.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Sat 16 Apr - 20:08

Awesum find! Cool
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2312
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 17 Apr - 8:50

Sorry haselnuss I have changed my mind as the Shape 394 wasn't made until 1963 well after the time that Carpay was working at Crown Lynn.  During the night it dawned on me that this shape was made too late for him.  
I sort out all sorts of things in my sleep Razz

https://www.newzealandpottery.net/gallery/Crown-Lynn-Shapes-Catalogue-01-881/300-to-399/394-Egg-Shaped-Tray-17463-pic_1817.htm

This could have been done by any one of the numerous hand painters that worked at Crown Lynn.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17734
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Tue 19 Apr - 15:40

Never mind. I only paid $18 for it and it is still a lovely decorated bowl. I didn't check the date for the shape just the number and thought it would fit in Carpays timeline.
It just shows not take anything for granted. Check, check and recheck!
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum