NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» R A Shufflebotham, painter (Not NZ)
Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... EmptyToday at 7:46 by Maryr

» Northland Pottery identification
Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... EmptyThu 25 Jul - 16:57 by Wayne

» Topaz Tableware by Crown Lynn
Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:53 by Ev

» Like Topaz and Like Vintage made in Philippines
Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:48 by Itsyawnoc

» Crown Lynn bambi lamp for gallery
Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... EmptyTue 23 Jul - 19:24 by BeauMontgomeryEverett

» Shape 72 being used for the first time ...
Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... EmptyTue 23 Jul - 10:38 by Ev

» Blue glaze cup CB?
Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... EmptySun 21 Jul - 17:28 by Ferret

» Vintage Pat. No. 982
Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... EmptySat 20 Jul - 18:15 by nessymc2

» Can you help with identifying this Potters Mark please?
Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... EmptySat 20 Jul - 15:35 by JanPots

Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before.....

3 posters

Go down

Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... Empty Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before.....

Post  Ev Fri 20 Nov - 19:35

As these are my other half's favourite mugs - though he prefers Cobblestone, I pick them up when I see them ..... heh and I am a potter!
This is very unusual as it has the Riverstone matt glaze on the lower quarter and this rutile glaze over the other 3/4 as well as over the Riverstone.
I wonder if this was an experiment or if they made more and wonder what they called this glaze?Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... Temuka14
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17868
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... Empty Re: Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before.....

Post  Ev Thu 26 Nov - 21:06

Thanks to guitarmansolo on Trademe -
I now know that this was a glaze trialled in the 1970's by Temuka and they called it Rainbow.
A very apt name as there is every colour in the rainbow - greens - blues - yellows - purples Very Happy
He said that the glaze was never used in production.
He has some too and thinks they are neat.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... Empty Re: Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before.....

Post  Thelma Mon 1 Nov - 20:58

I have just seen this post and can say that I have several cups just like this here. My daughter spotted them at a garage sale many years ago. She loved the rainbow glaze.
Thelma
Thelma

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... Empty other unusual glazes

Post  Thelma Wed 3 Nov - 20:58

Speaking of uncommon glazes, has anyone ever seen riverstone glaze with a blue glaze on the top half of the cup? i have a few items coloured this way. Would have to hunt around for them in one of the boxes to be able to get a photo.
Thelma
Thelma

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 3 Nov - 21:38

guitarmansolo would know the name if it had one, as he worked at Temuka back in the day. I don't think I've seen what you describe Thelma.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... Empty Rainbow glaze

Post  kiwi2768 Tue 26 Jun - 0:50

I found these in an op shop in Gore during our trip home in October last year. I was wondering about the unusual glaze. I think they are quite pretty and most definitely there would be no two the same.

Temuka coffee cup - but I have never seen the glaze before..... 089

kiwi2768

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 26 Jun - 12:16

Another great find kiwi - it's the rutile in the glaze reacting to other elements that give that wonderful rainbow effect .... love it!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum