NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» R A Shufflebotham, painter (Not NZ)
The family connection to T Lovatt EmptyToday at 7:46 by Maryr

» Northland Pottery identification
The family connection to T Lovatt EmptyThu 25 Jul - 16:57 by Wayne

» Topaz Tableware by Crown Lynn
The family connection to T Lovatt EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:53 by Ev

» Like Topaz and Like Vintage made in Philippines
The family connection to T Lovatt EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:48 by Itsyawnoc

» Crown Lynn bambi lamp for gallery
The family connection to T Lovatt EmptyTue 23 Jul - 19:24 by BeauMontgomeryEverett

» Shape 72 being used for the first time ...
The family connection to T Lovatt EmptyTue 23 Jul - 10:38 by Ev

» Blue glaze cup CB?
The family connection to T Lovatt EmptySun 21 Jul - 17:28 by Ferret

» Vintage Pat. No. 982
The family connection to T Lovatt EmptySat 20 Jul - 18:15 by nessymc2

» Can you help with identifying this Potters Mark please?
The family connection to T Lovatt EmptySat 20 Jul - 15:35 by JanPots

The family connection to T Lovatt

2 posters

Go down

The family connection to T Lovatt Empty The family connection to T Lovatt

Post  ccrk9 Tue 5 Jul - 15:35

Sorry, my posts been erratic as Im on rural internet Crying or Very sad

Thomas Lovatt was somehow friends with my Mothers parents, as near as we can work out, he was a plasterer as was my Grandfather and they met in the South Island when my Grandfather worked down there-this is mainly deducted from Tom Lovatts history in the NZ Pottery Book by Gail Henry. They stayed in touch and when Tom Lovatt set up his pottery in Wellington my Great Uncle worked for him and is in a staff photograph in the Gail Henry book.
After Tom Lovatt went to Temuka, the friendship with my family continued and he often gave the family gifts of one off trial pieces of pottery such as the large mushroom glaze vase, the pieces often going into production with different glazes or decorations. Sadly, many of the pieces were give away by my Grandmother, my Mother remembers several animals including a hare and apparently, an elephant. We also used to have a large brown coffee pot which got broken and a wall vase in plain design similar to the on on the cover of one edition of the Gail Henry book which some how vanished over the years. Up until his death Tommy or Uncle Tommy stayed in touch with the family, even attending my parents wedding. I have a suspicion that it is possible more pieces will come to light eventually at my parents house when it eventually comes time to clear the house due to advancing age of my Mum.

ccrk9

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-07-02

Back to top Go down

The family connection to T Lovatt Empty Re: The family connection to T Lovatt

Post  Thelma Wed 6 Jul - 19:37

Hi, I have been interested in the history of Temuka Pottery for a long time now and have amassed a (largish) collection of modern and older pieces. Do you remember a L Lovatt? I have a piece with this name inscribed on the bottom and have always wanted to know where it fits in with the scheme of things. It is in a sandy clay different to the usual clay used.
Thelma
Thelma

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

The family connection to T Lovatt Empty The family connection

Post  ccrk9 Thu 7 Jul - 9:28

Hi Thelma,
Sorry can't help. Checked with my Mum and she didn't know. Wonder if it's English Langley ware and goes back to Lovatt and Lovatt, or a version of that ? Photos would be great. Tom Lovatt had sons, one of which was S LovattI who designed the dog I have,
He was the youngest son I think, the one my Mum knew and I think there were older boys. The Gail Henry book might have it, I need to re read it myself :-)

ccrk9

Back to top Go down

The family connection to T Lovatt Empty Re: The family connection to T Lovatt

Post  Thelma Thu 7 Jul - 20:50

Actually, my bulldog has Temuka then just L L inscribed underneath. I do not thnk it is English. I would love to find out who made it. There is a photo of it in the Temuka gallery. When my computer stops having a hissy fit Rolling Eyes I will try again to post the photo of the base that I have just found.
Thelma
Thelma

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

The family connection to T Lovatt Empty Thelma, Bulldog

Post  ccrk9 Fri 8 Jul - 12:56

Just looked at you gallery photo, the bull dog looks like a copy of the English Doulton Bulldogs that were common, usually with a Union Jack Flag draped over their backs - I have a very old one going back to 1930s/40s with a mark I have never identified.

LL used to be the Langley Mill mark for some of the Lovatt and Lovatt pottery around the early 1900s.
Im wondering if maybe it was somehow carried over for use in Temuka till Tom Lovatt started signing things in his own name. Who knows. But will keep an eye peeled as it is a mystery.

ccrk9

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum