NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» R A Shufflebotham, painter (Not NZ)
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" EmptyToday at 7:46 by Maryr

» Northland Pottery identification
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" EmptyThu 25 Jul - 16:57 by Wayne

» Topaz Tableware by Crown Lynn
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:53 by Ev

» Like Topaz and Like Vintage made in Philippines
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:48 by Itsyawnoc

» Crown Lynn bambi lamp for gallery
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" EmptyTue 23 Jul - 19:24 by BeauMontgomeryEverett

» Shape 72 being used for the first time ...
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" EmptyTue 23 Jul - 10:38 by Ev

» Blue glaze cup CB?
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" EmptySun 21 Jul - 17:28 by Ferret

» Vintage Pat. No. 982
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" EmptySat 20 Jul - 18:15 by nessymc2

» Can you help with identifying this Potters Mark please?
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" EmptySat 20 Jul - 15:35 by JanPots

large mug with lots of blush, "CK"

Go down

large mug with lots of blush, "CK" Empty large mug with lots of blush, "CK"

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 19 Mar - 15:39

Nothing for me at Tiki market this morning so Tus and I stopped at what I think is a reasonably new second-hand shop by the Tikipunga roundabout. Found: one mug.

From the dramatic blush this large mug appears to be wood-fired but I see no evidence of wadding on the base. Some glaze, ash I think, has been applied as evidenced by the inside, the rim, and some clear glaze spots on the blush, and by the internal blush spot where the applied glaze has missed. The unglazed exterior is almost entirely vitrified and I would have to describe the overall texture, and the look of the unglazed and not-blushed base as "sandy". Yesterday Nicole and I went to Onerahi for some sand which I have been considering adding to my Avondale clay as I suspect it may not otherwise survive a wood firing: I wonder if this mug has had sand added to its clay body.
large mug with lots of blush, "CK" Ck10
105mm H x 95 OD, marked CK

There is some brush, comb, or fork decoration where the handle affixes and directly opposite. Although the large handle is not to my liking it is well formed suggesting a competent potter.

The mark looks to me like "CK". The point at which the top stroke of the K meets the upright us obscured by the lower stroke but I can confirm that it is indeed there. There also appears to a loop on the upright suggesting a P could also form part of this device but I'm looking at it as a scratch.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum