NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» BS? Is anyone able to help please…
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes EmptyToday at 16:06 by tabbyland

» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes

2 posters

Go down

Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes Empty Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes

Post  Maryr Sun 30 Apr - 16:30

I am pretty confident that the green ware is all Lowrie rather than Beach.  I have had an initial phone conversation with Peter, who now lives in Australia and he confirmed that.  This means that the two green snywerk vases we have found are 99.99% likely to be Lowrie, also the lidded brown snywerk bowl I have previously posted. The confusion arises with some of the gold and dark brown glazed items - a very similar glaze seems to have been used by Crown Lynn, Lowrie and Beach.
Anyway here are my two latest Lowrie finds - a pate dish and a cheese keep which incidentally lacks the professional finesse of Jeremy's brown version. Eg, note the roughly scratched swirl on the base of the chese plate - not what I would expect from Steenstra. Pate dish is 12 cm across. Cheese keep lid is 13 cm high and the plate is 22 cm across.
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes 09-low10
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes 07-low10
Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes 08-low10

Last edited by Maryr on Fri 14 Jul - 16:03; edited 1 time in total
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes Empty Re: Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes

Post  Ev Sun 30 Apr - 17:36

The swirl on the base reminds me of the swirl on the Beach salt pig knobs.
Does the lid knob have the same kind of swirl?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes Empty Re: Peter Lowrie cheese keep and pate dish in green Yes

Post  Maryr Sat 20 May - 19:56

This cheese keep looks like it was made by someone who was trying to emulate Steenstra. The swirl on the base of the plate was scratched in when the clay was too dry, and the top knob of the lid has some sharp scratchy bits inside it... Just doesn't look like his skilled work.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum