NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» R A Shufflebotham, painter (Not NZ)
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? EmptyToday at 7:46 by Maryr

» Northland Pottery identification
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? EmptyThu 25 Jul - 16:57 by Wayne

» Topaz Tableware by Crown Lynn
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:53 by Ev

» Like Topaz and Like Vintage made in Philippines
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? EmptyWed 24 Jul - 15:48 by Itsyawnoc

» Crown Lynn bambi lamp for gallery
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? EmptyTue 23 Jul - 19:24 by BeauMontgomeryEverett

» Shape 72 being used for the first time ...
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? EmptyTue 23 Jul - 10:38 by Ev

» Blue glaze cup CB?
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? EmptySun 21 Jul - 17:28 by Ferret

» Vintage Pat. No. 982
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? EmptySat 20 Jul - 18:15 by nessymc2

» Can you help with identifying this Potters Mark please?
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? EmptySat 20 Jul - 15:35 by JanPots

Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please?

3 posters

Go down

Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? Empty Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please?

Post  Bindi27 Mon 11 Jul - 20:19

Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? Img_3812
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? Img_3810
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? Img_3813
Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? Img_3811

Bindi27

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-07-11

Back to top Go down

Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? Empty Re: Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 11 Jul - 22:55

Bindi27,
There is chatter about this mug in the following link:
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t237-titian-mug-from-hon-john#678

Best if you read through and form your own conclusions.

My own one is very well made but the speckled glaze looks to me like one that was used at Hobby Ceramics. See it here:
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t7136-titian-hobby-hei-tiki-mug#28192

Most opinions I see tend to the green glaze being Titian.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please? Empty Re: Can anyone tell me about this titian mug please?

Post  Ev Tue 12 Jul - 5:41

I think this was made at Hobby Ceramics as this Titian mug was used a lot by them and the S 03 is indicative of this as are the stilt marks on the base.  Titian did raw glazing so there would not be any stilt marks.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17868
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Bindi27 Tue 12 Jul - 19:29

Thank you for your help Very Happy

Bindi27

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 19 Jul - 20:53

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/titian/auction-1124768617.htm

Two keen bidders: I don't know either.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 20 Jul - 7:35

How wack is that?
Bidding is up to $127.00 with 11 hours to go !!!
And all for a Hobby Ceramics mug ..... affraid
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bindi27 Wed 20 Jul - 17:13

Yes the auction has gone a bit crazy! I really was not expecting that. And I have clearly shown all markings on the mug. Is it because it has the Titian makers mark on the bottom and that the glaze could be a factory glaze??

Bindi27

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 20 Jul - 17:21

I feel that it must be because of the Titian stamp and the fact that Titian marked there ware with a letter and a number. S stands for souvenir which seems ok, however their numbers didn't go that high as far as I'm aware. It is a lovely example. The Brown's son Chris ran Hobby Ceramics and used all and sundry to use for moulds.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bindi27 Wed 20 Jul - 17:29

Thankyou for all your information, it has been great to learn more about it Smile

Bindi27

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 20 Jul - 17:38

Meanwhile, my one is looking even more like Hobby Ceramics, even without any makers' initials or date scratched into the base. I saw a Hobby vase today at Kamo SPCA with the same speckled glaze pooling to blue, initials CRB, I think, but unlikely to be Chris Brown as it's a bit rough, however if CRB is Chris Brown it could be a different story!

I'm still not sure about the green glaze as, while it has been likened to Titian glazes, I've never been satisfied with the finish, which is why I've avoided them, even though, from memory, they've only ever been bid up to $30 before!

Later:
... $280 ... ???

----------
Next day.
I'm adding and edit rather than reply to the two posts below as there are a whole lot of new topics up this evening. Ev's query about a brown and orange Orzel 104 had me looking at the tiki mug in the same colours and then back to the iPad to check out other glazes, the gist of which is as follows:

The two green Hei tiki mugs that sold on tm couple years ago both had WHITE INTERIORS and this one is green inside.

That reminds me of the Titian CL Parker Maori souvenir mug which had white inside in its original incarnation but brown all over as CL.

So we have four colourings now:
green o/s white inside, letters scratched, marked Titian, stilt marks, on tm
green o/s green i/s, letters scratched, marked Titian, stil marks, here
Orange and brown Orzel glaze, bases unseen on hon-John's and Paipo's (ooga mooga) examples
Speckle glaze pooling blue, marked Titian, stilt marks, no scratches.

Then there are the greenware examples. I have not see one of these without stilt marks!

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Thu 21 Jul - 20:58; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Bindi27 Wed 20 Jul - 19:56

It sold for $395!!! Shocked

Bindi27

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 21 Jul - 6:08

Congratulations Bindi cheers
It looks like a bidding war occurred due to two collectors that both collect Maori pottery.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum